When starting a Depop store, one of the most difficult parts is sourcing inventory. With over 3 million listings on Depop, choosing which items to sell can be tricky. Sourcing the right products to list on your Depop store can be a tiresome and time-consuming task.
There are a lot of places to source from, such as looking through thrift stores, garage sales, and other places that might have discounted clothes, accessories, or vintage items that you can sell in your Depop store at a higher price.
However, there are many things you must consider when finding products for your Depop store, including what items to choose from, how many items you should have in your store at one time, and how much the item costs. This article will discuss how you can get best-selling inventory to sell for your Depop store and other things to consider when sourcing second hand items.
Finding the right inventory for your Depop store requires many considerations. The good news is that it does not need large capital for you to start. Reselling comes with many benefits for resellers, buyers, and the environment. One is allowing more people to appreciate the value and beauty of an item you no longer want or use.
The fashion industry is one of the most significant contributors of greenhouse gasses globally and the second leading industry consumer of water, contributing to 20% of industrial water pollution. Many buyers already know this and are keen on supporting local businesses and resellers in saving mother earth by sourcing ethically and recycling secondhand items.
Conscious consumption is the greener movement in consumerism that helps minimize environmental impact by consuming differently, without excess or waste, to help save the planet. One great way to practice sustainability is by reselling unwanted items from your wardrobes. It does not only help save the environment, but can also be a great way to earn extra cash.
Reselling secondhand goods is more than just a business. It also provides an opportunity for many people to contribute to a more sustainable future of fashion and influences a broader social change for both the buyer and the seller.
7 Places to Find Items to Sell
Sourcing items to sell in your Depop store is much easier than you think. You might even be surprised to find hidden gems right in your closet! It's always best to source from different places to find great items to sell in your Depop store. Here's the list of places where you can quickly find items to add to your inventory without spending too much.
- Your Own Collection - You can easily find items to sell right from your own closet! Go through your wardrobes or check unwanted items in your home. Many sellers start by decluttering their own collection first to gain capital before sourcing through bigger merchants and wholesalers.
- Family and Friends - Asking your family and friends for items they no longer want or their kids' outgrown clothing is a great way to find things to sell for your Depop. Most of them will give you these items for free to save space, or you can also offer to split the profit in half.
- Wholesalers - This refers to merchants who sell products with MOQ (Minimum order quantity), usually in 100s, but others offer items as low as 50, 20, or 10. Buying wholesale items saves you money as most offer items at a low price so the buyer can resell and still gain profits from them.
- Thrift Shops/Charity Shops - Your local thrift store and charity shops are excellent places to find some great designer clothes and luxury goods to sell for a profit.
- Online Marketplaces - You can find great items at a discount on e-commerce platforms and marketplaces. Some are listed at a steal price which you can resell in Depop at a higher price.
- Yard/Garage Sale - Find yard sales and garage sales in your area.. You can usually find old clothing, books, toys, home decor, furniture, and appliances at a low price! These are great items to resell in your Depop store.
- Vintage Shops - Start your hunting game with rare items in vintage shops near you. Most of them offer excellent condition vintage items at a low price. You can also find vintage items that need a little polish but can sell at a higher price once they are refurbished.
Reselling on Depop has many benefits. It helps you make some money while clearing out your closet, extends the life cycle of the unwanted item instead of being wasted, and contributes to a sustainable fashion that affects wider social causes.
5 Things to Consider When Buying Secondhand Items
When it comes to deciding what items will sell fast on Depop, there are a few things you must consider. Most of the items you will list in your Depop store are secondhand items. Hence, the following are essential to keep in mind to help sell your secondhand goods faster and grow your Depop resale business over time.
- Is it in good condition? Check for the item's condition. Does it have a small hole or stains? Are they still with original tags, or do they show visible flaws? Before determining the condition of the item you are planning to sell, it is best to understand the item condition guide in Depop.
- New With Tags - These are new items that haven't been worn and still have their original tags with no visible flaws.
- Mint Condition - Worn a few times but still looks new and has no visible flaws.
- Excellent Condition - Worn several times but has no visible flaws. The fabric may show normal wear but is still in excellent wearable condition.
- Good Condition - Items regularly worn showing minor blemishes with normal wear. Any zipper, button, or pocket is fully functional.
- Fair Condition - Items may show visible wear and tear but is still fully functional and repairable.
- Reworked - These are items with significant flaws that's been refurbished to recycle materials and created a new piece to give a new life to once old clothing.
- Is it from a good brand? Popular brands sell faster, especially designer brands, at reasonable prices. Look for brands that sell well on Depop by browsing the explore page. You can check the brand's performance and demand and decide if you want to add these brands to your inventory.
- Is it a trendy item? Looking for trending items can be risky at times. The fashion industry is constantly changing rapidly. On-trend items are fast-selling items that can go out of style soon. Trending items often began when an influencer or celebrity wore them or when an item was found in a viral movie or tv series. It's ideal to hop on the trends as soon as they begin and manage your inventory accordingly, as it's likely to move fast!
- Is it sellable? Determining whether an item is marketable or not is based on several things. Does the item have reasonable pricing? Is it in good condition? Is the item on-trend, or is it an in-season item? You have to check your calendar and browse for things people talk about on social media. You can also test the waters by buying a few pieces and listing them on your Depop.
- Will you buy it for yourself? If you are willing to accept a gently-used item based on its pricing and condition, your buyers might also be interested in buying it. Choosing items you personally like and would buy for yourself are ideal items to resell as you can fully explain the item and the brand, making it easier to entice more shoppers.
Selling on Depop is not an easy task. Some items sell more quickly than others. While buyers' style and wants differs, you can always do a little research on what's in demand or what kind of items most shoppers are eyeing. You must learn to be more creative, monitor your competitors, and try different promotions to attract more buyers and drive sales.
How to Choose the Right Item to Sell
You might be asking yourself, "What item sells fast on Depop?" this is the common question most Depop sellers have in their minds. There is no single answer to this question. One can sell ten items within the day, while the other might struggle in selling 1-2 items in a week.
The demands on items change throughout the year. For example, swimsuits are best-selling items during summer, while scarves are in-demand during winter. Similar to changing seasons, fashion trends are constantly evolving as well. What's in demand now might not be popular in the following months.
Hence, knowing how to choose the right item to sell is important, which can help keep your Depop inventory moving!
- Do your research - It can be hard to know what buyers are looking for or interested in buying. One way to stay on top of your game is by doing a little research to see what's trending, what people on social media are talking about, and what items you should keep away from. Depop's page and social media channels let you quickly know the trending products and what the celebrities and influencers are wearing or raving about.
- Observe your competitors - What items are your competitors stocking in their shops? How do they market their products? What promotions are they using to entice more customers? Knowing these can help you quickly identify what styles and products are selling fast on other sellers. You may also look at different platforms to see which products are top-selling or go to offline shops to see which products have in stock.
- Add categories that never go out of style - While hopping to the trending items helps you sell items fast and keep your sales up, adding things to your Depop shop that never goes out of style is also essential. Trending items can go out of fashion in months or weeks, slowing down your sales. Having things like well-known brands of streetwear, sneakers, and luxury goods are a great way to keep your Depop inventory moving and can generate demands, all-year-round.
Elevate Your Depop Shop
Sourcing items to sell in your Depop shop can be a tedious and time-consuming task. Aside from finding the best things to resell, you must also allot time creating the listing, including uploading photos, adding compelling titles and descriptions, and other listing tasks such as refreshing stale listings and cross-listing to connect you to a broader audience interested in buying your products.
Reselling is indeed profitable. Many resellers can earn six digits just by selling online. Many shoppers prefer buying online because of its convenience and best deals, like free shipping or discount coupons. As a seller, the main goal is to get your items visible to as many online shoppers as possible.
OneShop makes it possible to cross-list to other marketplaces seamlessly to help you sell your items faster, even outside Depop. OneShop is the only automation service that lets you cross-list using a computer and continues working on your mobile phone whenever you want to, making it the fastest way to progress your listings anytime, anywhere.
OneShop is working tirelessly to help its users have a more convenient way of listing online. It provides the most polished selling experience, redesigned to integrate with your workflow, so you won't miss out on essential details that can help your listings stay on top of Depop and other marketplaces.
OneShop also has a Depop bot that allows you to refresh stale listings while maintaining your closet order. Refreshing stale listings is vital to get your listings on top of Depop searches. With OneShop, you can easily automate refreshing tasks while ensuring your account is safe by setting a daily refresh target based on the number of listings you have.
OneShop is not just limited to doing boring and repetitive listing work. It helps thousands of resellers looking to go pro by providing tools that help grow their business with minimal work. OneShop can be an excellent addition for resellers like you to succeed in your resale venture. Sign-up today and start your 7-day risk-free trial with no upfront payment required! Let this excellent automation software help you quickly achieve all your selling goals.